So as I promised, I am coming out with my highly anticipated mock draft. I am no Todd McShay or Mel Kiper Jr. but I like to think I know what I am talking about. To be completely honest, if you think that there is a science to figuring out the NFL Draft, you’re an idiot. In 2016, Kiper only got 7 of the 32 picks right and McShay got 9 of the 32. It’s a crap shoot. No one knows if trades are going to happen until Schefter and Rappaport tweet them out right before the selection. Keeping this in mind, my mock is without predicting any trades and is based on team needs and how I think a player will fit into a scheme. So here we go…
1. Cleveland Browns: Myles Garret DE, Texas A&M – This one is easy. Browns need a playmaker on defense and this guy brings constant pressure off the edge to go after Big Ben, Flacco, and Dalton.
2. San Fransisco 49ers: Solomon Thomas DE, Stanford – San Francisco was ranked last in rush defense last year giving up 165.9 yards a game. Grabbing Thomas here to add to their new 4-3 defense new coach Kyle Shanahan is installing would create a formidable front 4 to go along with former first round D-lineman Arik Armstead and DeForest Bunker.
3. Chicago Bears: Marshon Lattimore CB, Ohio State- Newly signed Mike Glennon isn’t the future but they gave him a boatload of money. Their corners are very old with Prince Amukamara and former Super Bowl hero Tracy Porter so grabbing the best corner early is how I think they are going to go.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Fournette RB, LSU- Bortles has the receiving threats, they have spent money on the defense, now it’s time to get a running back.
5. Tennessee Titans: Jamal Adams S, LSU- Titans gave up the third most passing yards a game last season and with a potential opening at free safety, you can’t pass up possibly the best player and ballhawk in the draft.
6. New York Jets: O.J. Howard TE, Alabama- The Jets suck and could go anywhere here but after signing vet Josh McCown and drafting Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round last year, I think they skip QB for now. Brandon Marshall is gone and the last time the Jets had an OK tight end it was Dustin Keller.
7. Los Angeles Chargers: Malik Hooker S, Ohio State- Chargers were middle of the pack in defense and offense for the most part and after cutting Brandon Flowers they need some help in the secondary. Hooker is a guy that could help right away.
8. Carolina Panthers: Derek Barnett, Tennessee- Panthers took 3 cornerbacks in last years draft so I am not sure they go in that direction again. Charles Johnson is getting up there in age and can tutor the defensive end of the future for Carolina.